From Crit Geog Forum via
This event might interest those of you with an interest in environmental geography – speakers include Ted Benton and Ian Angus.
International Socialism is holding a one day conference on Marxism and Nature in London on 15th October.
Capitalism’s thirst for profit is leading to climate change, pollution, species extinction and the depletion of natural resources at alarming rates. Despite promises made at the Paris COP21 conference in December 2015, global solutions rest on market mechanisms that offer little promise of success.
This event will explore the relevance of Marxist ideas to our understanding of environmental issues, discuss the specific reasons why capitalism is so destructive and debate different approaches to science and nature.
Date: Saturday 15 October
Time: 10.30am to 5pm
Location: Student Central, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HY
Fossil fuel capitalism
Biodiversity and species extinction
Science and socialism
The Anthropocene and Marxism today
- Confirmed speakers:
Ian Angus: Canadian ecosocialist activist, editor of the online journal Climate & Capitalism, author of Facing the Anthropocene(2016) and co-author of Too Many People? Population, Immigration, and the Environmental Crisis (2011) http://climateandcapitalism.com/
- Ted Benton: founder member of the Red-Green Study Group, author of The Rise and Fall of Structural Marxism (1984), The Greening of Marxism(1986), Natural Relations (1993) and others.
- Suzanne Jeffery, member of the Campaign against Climate Change trade union group (speaking in a personal capacity).
- Martin Empson, author of Land and Labour: Marxism, Ecology and Human History.
- John Parrington, associate professor in Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology at the University of Oxford. Author of The Deeper Genome and Redesigning Life.
- Ian Rappel, conservation ecologist.
- Camilla Royle, deputy editor, International Socialism.
- Sarah Ensor, who is researching the history of class struggle in Iceland and blogs at http://herringandclassstruggle.blogspot.co.uk/
Book your place now at http://isj.org.uk/day-school-marxism-and-nature/
The webpage includes a selection of related articles from International Socialism. This video of John Bellamy Foster speaking on the Anthropocene and the global ecological crisis at Marxism 2016 may also be of interest: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luckb-MgXaU